Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Spirit's Whispers

Happiness is good, and there's days where I crave it,
But those days are usually dark and lonely 
Where I forget that the root word of happiness is happen 
And that happiness is connected to circumstance and what we can get out of life.
On those days I forget that joy is what I really need.
That joy is a seed planted in my heart by a loving Father,
That no matter how unhappy my circumstances may seem,
That seed of joy will grow into a tree with hope as its roots and peace as its branches.
And somewhere in that growth my heart will learn to love again
And see people despite the sin that plagues them. 
For it plagues me too.
Because aren't we all the same?
Stuck in this disease called humanity that grips our minds
And in time we stop seeing the truth.
Though it affects most things we do, it's not who we are,
For we are more than our actions and scars-- 
We are souls seeking refuge in a stormy sea, 
But despite what we're told and despite what we think, that refuge is never the boat
That teeters and rears and tries to stay afloat atop the waves.
While our bodies want the boat's "safety," our spirits long to be saved.
Through the cries of our flesh, the Spirit whispers underneath,
"Take hold of his reach. Cant you see? 
The creator of your soul has asked you to be not of the storm but above it,
Walking the waves as if it were pavement."


3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this! I've been spending some time in Ecclesiastes and there are a LOT of similar ideas that Solomon includes in his "blog." Great writing. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Meaningless, meaningless. Everything is meaningless."
      I am familiar with the book, though I haven't read all of it. What I did read, I immediately saw Solomon's intentions. He was not being depressive or complaining as his words appear on first glance, but trying to take things past what our eyes can see and into a deeper spiritual realm where things have a much more everlasting purpose.

      Delete
    2. "Meaningless, meaningless. Everything is meaningless."
      I am familiar with the book, though I haven't read all of it. What I did read, I immediately saw Solomon's intentions. He was not being depressive or complaining as his words appear on first glance, but trying to take things past what our eyes can see and into a deeper spiritual realm where things have a much more everlasting purpose.

      Delete